As the Director of Business Development, you build us up! You love the thrill of making that sale, forging that new partnership, making a new friend. You are a key player on the BCAMA Board because you are responsible for bringing the money in and that is what allows us to do all the cool stuff we want to do as an organization. You see the potential in everything and pounce on the opportunities you create. You’re tenacious, you’re fun and people love working with you. With you leading the charge, BCAMA’s success is guaranteed.
The Director of Business development builds community relationships with potential sponsors and partner organizations. Responsible for bringing new business (cash and contra into the board both annually and for the events). Liaises with board members to extract new opportunities, and with the Director of Sponsorship to seek out opportunities with existing sponsors.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop a strategy for building new sponsorships and help define the role that the sponsors can play to further enhance the value BCAMA has to members and the marketing community at large.
- Develop sector intelligence and analysis such as stakeholder organizational environments, motivations, interests, requirements, responsibilities and operational cycles to help advance and negotiate partnerships and collaborations.
- Identify development opportunities, and bring the necessary sponsors to the table that lead to win-win scenarios for all parties (both cash and contra).
- Grow current sponsorships/partnerships in tandem with the Director of Sponsorship.
- Negotiate terms of agreement ensuring that the BCAMA members’ interests are foremost. Lead all aspects of deal negotiation, ensuring necessary approvals and appropriate contractual provisions and due diligence processes are adhered to. Work closely with Director of Sponsorship to ensure all aspects of partnerships are represented via written contracts.
- Validate financial viability of proposed sponsorship contracts.
In this role, you’ll be supported by the BCAMA Executive and Board, volunteers, office and accounting staff. While this is a volunteer position, there are many perks associated with the role, such as the ability to attend events and conferences, including AMA retreats and summits. The BCAMA is a non-profit, per the BC Societies Act.
Key portfolio deliverables for Year 1:
- Contribute to the Sponsorship portfolios, working with respective directors to ensure KPIs are met
- Assist the Director of Sponsorship on retaining existing sponsors
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization
This directorship is a two-year appointment. Commitment includes attendance excellence at monthly Board meetings and ad hoc planning meetings.
Being on the BCAMA Board:
The mission of the BC Chapter of the American Marketing Association (BCAMA) is to create a community of BC marketers who make meaningful connections with one another and who grow professionally through thought leadership and learning. Being on the BCAMA board means you are connected to the larger community while also being part of a close-knit team of like-minded marketers who care about this organization and each other. Positivity, fun and supporting one another are priorities. Our values are Connections, Teamwork, Accountability, Learning and Diversity.
All BCAMA Board Members must…
- Be a member of good standing within the AMA organization and meeting the qualifications of membership outlined in the society bylaws (e.g., 18 years of age, not conflicted of fraud, etc.);
- Attend a minimum 80% of monthly Board meetings (generally, Board meetings are typically held monthly, on the second Monday of each month, from 6pm-7:30 pm. Meetings are currently being held via Zoom for safe social distancing);
- Attend the annual strategic planning session (normally held in June);
- Attend as many BCAMA events throughout the year as possible; Board members receive reduced event rates or complimentary tickets;
- Commit to keeping up with Board correspondence by checking and responding to email and/or slack at least every 48 hours (except while traveling or on vacation);
- Commit to 2 years in this portfolio (the requirement for Vice-President, President-elect, President and Past President is a one-year commitment for each role, moving successively through each of these four portfolios); and
- Having an active professional social media presence is an asset.
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
Preferred candidate will have the following experience, attributes and abilities:
- Sales, marketing or advertising educational background.
- Liaising with senior executives.
- Business development.
- Negotiating contracts.
- Managing programs within an organization from inception to execution.
- Knowledge of working in a non-profit environment and “working” board environment.
- Self starter with a positive, outgoing and energetic attitude.
- Comfort with cold calling.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships and open communications with board members and potential committee members.
- Demonstrated ability to identify new prospects across a broad spectrum of organizations.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and evaluate against all existing BCAMA commitments and existing partnerships.
- Ability to work both independently and to be a team player.
How to Apply:
For more information about this role, please contact Jessica.DeBoer@BCAMA.com.
To submit your application for this role, click Apply Now below which will take you to a web form. We look forward to receiving your application.