What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and its Benefits

January 26, 2018

What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?

SEO, which is popularly known as Search Engine Optimization, is defined as the method and technique of gaining more website traffic through free, organic or natural search results on search engines such as Google and Bing. SEO assists search engines to better discover and rank your website higher than the millions of other websites on the internet. Although the digital marketing landscape has changed and evolved dramatically over the past few years, SEO remains an effective marketing strategy.

The process of technical SEO can be broken down into 5 main pillars:

  • SEO Audit is the process of evaluating a website’s search engine friendliness.
  • On-site SEO involves making website fixes to ensure that the pages, titles, tags, content and overall structure are optimized for your target keywords.
  • Local SEO is an effective way to improve location-based online presence. It helps businesses promote their products and services to local customers when they search “keyword(s) + location”.
  • On-page SEO is the process of making blog posts more SEO-friendly.
  • Off-site SEO refers to actions taken outside of the website that impact your rankings within search engine results pages (SERPs), which improve search engine and user perception of a site’s relevance, popularity, trustworthiness and authority.

The Benefits of SEO

While the benefits of SEO are vast, here are our top 5:

  1. Increased website traffic

SEO can help significantly increase website traffic, helping to expand and grow your business. SEO is a great investment, and can help take your business to the next level. To help maximize your SEO results, you can use Google Analytics, heat maps and reporting tools.

 

  1. Better user-friendly websites

SEO can help create improved user experiences for site visitors. By following the best practices in on-page SEO techniques, it will also increase site visibility and drive more targeted traffic to a website. By utilizing best practices in SEO, you can achieve top positions within SERPs, this means that your website, which is open 24/7, will be able to bring in qualified leads.

 

  1. Increased website traffic

Using strategic off-site SEO tactics can help your website rank higher on SERPs, which can in turn help establish and improve brand awareness. People trust Google, so having your website listed organically at the top usually equates to appearing to be a reputable company. With millions of websites indexed on the internet, it can be a daunting task to stand out from the crowd. By performing tactical SEO, your website becomes the brand, and competitors will be working to try and dethrone your top positions on search engines. Using SEO can help your brand stand out from the rest, and boost your online visibility and sales.

 

  1. Beat your competition

As more businesses realize the benefits of SEO, they are adding it as a crucial component of their overall digital marketing plans. If your competitors have already hit the ground running before you with respect to SEO, they are most likely going to have more website traffic than you.

 

  1. First page results receive 60% of the clicks

Website that are ranked at the top position of Google will typically receive 60% of the clicks, meaning that the remaining 40% will go to the second through to the millionth results on Google for the keyword used. By securing the top spot on Google, your site has the potential to gain thousands of new and organic site visitors, which could translate into increased sales revenues.

 

This post was written by Donald Kim at Optimized Webmedia. Optimized Webmedia is a customer centric, 360° Digital Marketing agency specializing in SEO, AdWords, Content Writing, Social Media Marketing and Website Design. To learn how Optimized Webmedia can help optimize your website to attract more visitors, book a free consultation and ask for our free SEO Site Audit